EE LAUNCHES OFFICIAL GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL APP WITH APPLE MUSIC INTEGRATION
- The 2017 Glastonbury Festival app is available to download from today for iOS and Android users
- Ultimate digital guide to the Festival allows users to check the latest news, locate their tent or car, stay connected with friends, personalise their Festival line-up and live stream BBC coverage
- Apple Music has been integrated into the app for the first time, so festival-goers can stream music from this year’s line-up before deciding which artists they’d like to see
Monday 5 June 2017: EE, the official communications and technology partner of Glastonbury Festival, has announced the launch of the official app for this year’s Festival with Apple Music functionality integrated for the first time. All the key features are also back by popular demand – the app was accessed over four million times during the Festival in 2016 – to ensure those on site have the best possible experience.
The free app allows users to: check the very latest news with live updates direct from the Festival; locate their tent or car by dropping a pin within the map; stay connected with friends thanks to Facebook integration; personalise their Festival line-up using the interactive scheduling tool; and live stream BBC coverage of select stages. The new addition of Apple Music integration will let users preview music from the line-up to help them decide who to see next.
New research from EE reveals that over 50 per cent of festival-goers admit to having lost their friends at a festival, with the average length of time without friends totalling three hours and 44 minutes. 16 per cent of festival fans even confessed to losing their friends for the entire length of the festival. The official Glastonbury Festival app will allow users to share their location with friends by dropping a pin and sharing it, making it much easier to reunite. Over 40,000 pins were dropped in 2016.
60 per cent of festival-goers polled also admitted to missing their favourite bands when at a music festival. The official Glastonbury Festival app will make it much easier for those on site to plan their festival with precision thanks to the interactive line-up planner, ensuring they get the most out of the experience.
Mat Sears, Director of Communications and Sponsorship at EE, said: “Losing your friends is all part of the festival experience, that’s why we ensure Glastonbury-goers have access to the latest technology to ensure they can reunite with mates more easily. Our 4G network on site means our customers can stay connected for the entire festival and the app continues to be an essential digital guide for those both there and also for Glastonbury fans who couldn’t make it down. It was accessed four million times during the festival last year so we know that those on site rely on it to ensure they get the most out the UK’s biggest and best-loved festival.”
EE is also providing phone-charging for festival-goers with more charging options than ever before – including Wireless and Quick Charge 3.0 charging stations to charge compatible phones in under 30 minutes – in the free Recharge tent located in the Glade area of the festival.
This year, EE is also installing the first permanent network mast on the Glastonbury site to provide Worthy Farm with 4G coverage all year round, not just for festival-goers. This new mast is part of EE continuing to work on its ambition to reach 95 per cent geographic coverage by the end of 2020.
For more information on EE, please visit www.ee.co.uk/glastonbury
- ENDS -
For more information, please contact M&C Saatchi PR:
Notes to Editors:
The Glastonbury Festival app
Download links –
- iOS: http://itunes.apple.com/app/id652845778
- Android: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.ee.Glastonbury2013
A festival essential for smartphone users regardless of which network they are on, the official app continues to provide the latest news and information alongside essential digital tools for all Glastonbury lovers over the weekend. Key features include:
- Apple Music integration: New for 2017. Festival fans can preview music from artists on the line-up, listen to their favourite tracks, enjoy dedicated Glastonbury playlists and discover brand new music from the festival and more.
- Interactive scheduling tools: including the ‘my line-up’ feature allowing users to personalise their preferred festival line up – three million acts were favourited via the official app in 2016
- Facebook integration: allowing those on site to connect with friends by seeing who’s planning to see the same artists
- An interactive map: featuring updated site coverage, location finding, ‘now and next’ info and customisable pin drops to help festival-goers locate their friends, car and tent
- News section: featuring content from the Glastonbury team on site, including the latest news and real-time updates direct from the festival over the weekend
- Live-streaming from the BBC: allowing fans, both on and off site, to tune into the latest performances from select stages at the festival
Phone charging on site
With up to 40TB of data predicted to be used by festival-goers on site at Worthy Farm, connectivity remains more important than ever. That means the phone charging solutions on site are a crucial part of EE’s offering at Glastonbury Festival. In 2017, festival-goers will be able to keep fully charged in one of three innovative ways:
- The traditional Recharge tent - which contains more chargers than ever before and is free to all
- The Juice Tube Power Bank on-site swap service*
- Wireless and Quick Charge 3.0 charging stations – charging compatible phones in under 30 minutes
Juice Tube Power Bank
Portable charging for Glastonbury Festival 2017
The Juice Tube Power Bank is a portable mini-charger that’s small enough to carry around in your pocket, so you can charge your phone on the move. And when it runs flat, you can bring it to the EE Recharge Tent or the EE Exchange Cabin and swap it for a fully-charged one, once a day, for free.
You can buy the official, swappable Juice Tube Power Bank on site or online for £20.00 -
https://accessories.ee.co.uk/glastopowerbar. The Juice Tube Power Bank is the portable charging solution for Glastonbury 2017 only.
The EE Recharge Tent and the EE Exchange Cabin – both can be found on the official Glastonbury map via the app – will be open for swapping on Wednesday from 3pm to 8pm and then from Thursday to Sunday between 10am and 10pm
EE, part of BT Group, is the largest and most advanced mobile communications company in the UK, delivering mobile and fixed communications services to consumers.
EE runs the UK's biggest and fastest mobile network, having pioneered the UK's first superfast 4G mobile service in October 2012 and was the first European operator to surpass 14 million 4G customers in December 2015. EE has more than 550 shops across the UK. EE's 4G coverage extends to 80% of the UK’s landmass (equal to more than 99% of the UK population) and EE has an ambition to extend 4G to 95% UK geographic coverage by 2020.
EE has received extensive independent recognition, including being ranked the UK's best overall network by RootMetrics®; Best Network at the 2015, 2016 and 2017 Mobile News Awards; Best Consumer Network at the 2015 & 2016 Mobile Industry Awards; as well as Fastest Network and Best Network Coverage at the 2017 uSwitch Mobile Awards.
Facebook at: facebook.com/ee
Twitter at: twitter.com/ee
YouTube at: youtube.com/ee
LinkedIn at: linkedin.com/company/ee-uk