EE brings back hugely popular YouTube series the Wembley cup and this year fans can attend the final #WEMBLEYCUP
- Well-known YouTubers and EA SPORTS FIFA Legends will come together for a star-studded showdown at Wembley Stadium connected by EE on 2 September 2016
- Tickets to the live final are available to buy for the first time – fans can purchase now via www.ee.co.uk/wembleycup
- Eight-part online football series, available to all via Spencer FC’s YouTube channel and EE website, will document the road to the final – view the trailer here
- Ex-England player Robbie Fowler and former French International midfielder Robert Pirès are confirmed to play as part of a partnership with EA SPORTS and XBOX which will see six FIFA Legends join the line-up
- The Bobby Moore Fund confirmed as charity partner for the series
- The Wembley Cup series will be used to promote the exclusive BT Sport app offer from EE
Following the huge success of last year’s inaugural online web series, The Wembley Cup, EE is once again bringing a host of YouTube’s top football content creators together for the most epic football-themed online series in history.
The exclusive online eight-part series, launching in August, will document the journey of YouTube phenomenon Spencer Owen (Spencer FC) and fellow YouTuber Joe Weller as they battle it out to each build a team strong enough to take the title. Online stars Chris MD and The F2 Freestylers also join the line-up of 25 famous vloggers set to take part.
Both will compete in a series of tough and entertaining physical challenges in the episodes to win the dream team that will carry them through to the nation’s home of football – Wembley Stadium connected by EE – at the final on 2 September. And this year, for the first time, fans will be able to buy tickets to the live final at England’s national stadium as over 30,000 tickets go on sale today.
But that’s not all – for the second series the stakes have been raised thanks to the inclusion of six EA SPORTS FIFA Legends (exclusive to XBOX) who will push the YouTubers to their sporting limits during the episodes and play in the final match. England football legend Robbie Fowler and former French international midfielder Robert Pirès are the first names confirmed to be dusting off their football boots for the challenge with more big names to be announced throughout August.
At the final, EE will be making this year’s competition the most immersive yet by placing the power firmly in the hands of audience in the stadium. With 30,000 tickets going on sale for the event, fans attending will be able to shape the teams and call the shots through social media.
Spencer Owen, founder of YouTube channel Spencer FC said: “Following on from the incredible reaction to last year's Wembley Cup, we’re super excited to be bringing it back with EE! Our challenge this time around was to make it even bigger and better than in 2015. We feel that with the amazing football and YouTube talent we have on-board – culminating in a live final with a proper crowd at Wembley - it’s going to make for a very entertaining series.”
Max Taylor, MD of digital, comms and innovation at EE: “With over 30 million views amassed for last year’s Wembley Cup, the challenge for 2016 was to make it even bigger and better and with over 30,000 tickets going on sale today for the live final, we are inviting our customers and football fans down to the event for the first time.
“The Wembley Cup has become a big part of how we activate our partnership with Wembley Stadium and we’re delighted to be supporting the stadium’s official charity partner, The Bobby Moore Fund. The hugely popular YouTube series is also the perfect opportunity for us to bring to life our offer of six months free access to the BT Sport app for customers which launches later this month.”
James Salmon, Senior Product Marketing Manager for EA SPORTS FIFA in the UK said:
“We’re delighted to be supporting The Wembley Cup and look forward to seeing how the FIFA Ultimate Team Legends get on against YouTube’s biggest stars.”
Tickets, which include pre-match and halftime entertainment and an exclusive look at EA SPORTS FIFA 17 ahead of the launch on September 29, are available now at the following prices:
EE customers must text WEMBLEY to 500 to receive an EE booking code (texts at standard rate, T+C’s apply)
Early bird tickets (from today, subject to availability)
The event is not-for-profit and ticket holders will be given the opportunity to donate to The Wembley Cup’s chosen charity partner - The Bobby Moore Fund – at the point of purchase.
The full YouTube series can be viewed on Spencer FC’s YouTube channel and on EE’s official website, ee.co.uk/WembleyCup. Two episodes will be released each week during August in the lead up to the grand final on Wembley Stadium’s hallowed turf which will be released online in September. Further player announcements, news and other content will be distributed on EE social channels from this week and those following the series will be encouraged to show their support online by using #WembleyCup.
The Wembley Cup series will be used to promote EE’s exclusive BT Sport app offer which gives EE customers on consumer and small business pay monthly handset, tablet and SIM only plans access to all the BT Sport channels on their smartphone or tablet*. The BT Sport app deal is the first of a series of benefits to be made available to EE customers now that EE is part of BT Group and the first time that a BT service will be promoted through EE’s retail stores nationwide.
Since EE’s partnership with Wembley Stadium kicked off last year, EE has introduced many technological advancements to the stadium including delivering a significant network upgrade to more than double 3G and 4G capacity, ensuring fans can stay connected during events, as well as working with the Wembley team to deliver the first official Wembley app.
The eight-part web series has been produced and created by digital agency Poke. Brand engagement agency Havas SE Cake is managing the EE partnership with Wembley and executing the production of The Wembley Cup Final.
For more information about EE, please visit www.ee.co.uk
For more information about The FA and Wembley Stadium, please visit www.wembleystadium.com
– ENDS –
For more information, please contact Evren Ahmet, M&C Saatchi PR:
* Excludes 4GEE WiFi/Mobile Broadband and Large Business customers. Access to BT Sport app is for personal, non-commercial use only.
EE, part of BT Group, is the largest and most advanced mobile communications company in the UK, delivering mobile and fixed communications services to consumers.
EE runs the UK's biggest and fastest mobile network, having pioneered the UK's first superfast 4G mobile service in October 2012. EE was the first European operator to achieve 14 million 4G customers in December 2015. EE has around 550 shops across the UK. EE's 4G coverage today reaches more than 96% of the UK population, equal to more than 60% of the UK geography. EE plans to extend 4G to 95% geographic coverage by 2020.
EE has received extensive independent recognition, including being ranked the UK's best overall network by RootMetrics®; Best Network at the 2014 and 2015 Mobile News Awards; Best Consumer Network at the 2015 & 2016 Mobile Industry Awards; as well as Fastest Network at the 2014 and 2016 uSwitch Mobile Awards.
Facebook at: facebook.com/ee
Twitter at: twitter.com/ee
YouTube at: youtube.com/ee
LinkedIn at: linkedin.com/company/ee-uk
About Electronic Arts
Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA) is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. The Company delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets. EA has more than 300 million registered players around the world.
In fiscal year 2016, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $4.4 billion. Headquartered in Redwood City, California, EA is recognized for a portfolio of critically acclaimed, high-quality blockbuster brands such as The Sims™, Madden NFL, EA SPORTS™ FIFA, Battlefield™, Dragon Age™ and Plants vs. Zombies™. More information about EA is available at www.ea.com/news .
EA, EA SPORTS, Origin, Ultimate Team, Frostbite, The Sims, Dragon Age, Plants vs. Zombies and Battlefield are trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. and its subsidiaries. John Madden, NFL, NHL, NBA, PGA TOUR, UFC and FIFA are the property of their respective owners and used with permission. “PlayStation” is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
About the Bobby Moore Fund
· The Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK raises vital funds for research into bowel cancer and increases public awareness of the disease
· The Fund was set up by Stephanie Moore MBE in memory of her husband, footballer Bobby Moore, after his death from the disease in 1993, at just 51
· For more information visit www.bobbymoorefund.org
· Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/officialbobbymoorefund
About Cancer Research UK
· Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
· Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
· Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated.
· Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival in the UK double in the last forty years.
· Today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer for at least 10 years. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that by 2034, 3 in 4 people will survive their cancer for at least 10 years.
· Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
· Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.