Hello! Glastonbury goers downloaded the data equivalent of two million Lionel Richie songs
- Revellers downloaded a whopping eight terabytes worth of data via EE’s powerful 4G network at Glastonbury Festival – the equivalent of more than two million Lionel Richie songs
- Uploads from Worthy Farm more than doubled this year, with the data equivalent of three million images uploaded on social networks in 2015
- EE’s official Glastonbury app saw over three million launches as revellers logged on to check set times, create their personal line ups, drop location pins and listen to Deezer clips of the weekend’s artists
- The EE Power Bar swapping service was a huge success – average queuing time was kept to two minutes per swap all weekend meaning people had more time to catch all the performances and non-stop entertainment at Glastonbury
Glastonbury Festival’s official technology and communications partner EE pulled out all the stops to ensure they delivered the most connected festival experience yet.
EE’s 4G Network
The world’s largest temporary 4G network, built for Glastonbury by the EE Special Projects team, was put through its paces for the week. With more 4G users than ever before, last year’s data total was smashed by Thursday night – before the main stages had even opened.
In total, festival-goers downloaded a total of eight terabytes of data on 4G in 2015, equivalent to more than two million downloads of Lionel Richie’s Hello. Customers also uploaded three terabytes of 4G data – around four million envy-inducing posts to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter feeds from the Festival.
Phone calls were more reliable than ever before at Glastonbury, with 97.55% of calls going through.
EE’s Official Glastonbury 2015 App
The official Glastonbury 2015 app, developed in partnership with EE saw over three million launches over the weekend as revellers logged on to check on the latest Festival news, find where they were, stay connected with their friends on site, check set times and live stream the BBC’s coverage.
· Over 50,000 festival goers connected to Facebook to share their chosen line up with their friends
· 2.6 million acts were favourited as those on site used the app to plan their personal festival line up, with Florence and The Machine, Lionel Richie and George Ezra proving most popular
· Over 32,000 users dropped pins over the weekend in a bid not to lose their tent, car or friends
· Over 475,000 Deezer clips of Festival artists were played over the weekend through the app, with Alabama Shakes, The Who and James Bay taking the top spots
Top 10 favourited acts at Glastonbury 2015:
1. Florence and the Machine
2. Lionel Richie
3. George Ezra
4. The Who
5. Kanye West
6. Pharrell Williams
9. The Chemical Brothers
10. Ben Howard
Top 10 Deezer clips via the official Glastonbury 2015 app:
1. Alabama Shakes
2. The Who
3. James Bay
4. Catfish and the Bottlemen
6. Kanye West
8. Mary J. Blige
9. The Vaccines
10. The Chemical Brothers
EE Power Bar Exchange
EE also kept festival goers connected with two Power Bar Exchange points on site this year, which met the digital demands of this year’s festival goers by offering Power Bar swaps. The EE Power Bar – an easy-to-use portable phone charger and queue-busting alternative to traditional charging – enabled users to charge their phone on the go with the bar and then, once it ran out of juice, simply swap it for a fully charged one at the designated Exchange sites. Average queuing time at the Exchange sites was kept at 2 minutes per swap which meant revelers had more time to enjoy the music and entertainment on offer at the festival.
For more information on EE’s partnership with the Glastonbury Festival, please visit ee.co.uk/Glastonbury.
- ENDS -
For more information, please contact the EE press team:
M&C Saatchi PR / firstname.lastname@example.org / 0207 544 3600
EE is the largest and most advanced digital communications company in Britain, delivering mobile and fixed communications services to consumers, businesses, government and the wholesale market. EE has approximately 14,000 employees and 548 retail stores, and serves more than 30 million customers across its mobile, fixed and wholesale businesses.
EE runs the UK's biggest and fastest mobile network, pioneering the UK's first superfast 4G mobile service in October 2012 and is the first European operator to surpass the 10million 4G customer landmark. EE's 4G coverage today reaches more than 87% of the UK population. EE’s 2G coverage reaches 99% of the population while 3G reaches 98%. EE's superfast fibre broadband service covers 74% of the UK population, and ADSL broadband service covers 98.7% of the population.
In the last few years, EE has received extensive independent recognition including being ranked the UK's best overall network by RootMetrics®; Best Network at the 2014 and 2015 Mobile News Awards; Fastest Network at the 2013 and 2014 uSwitch Awards; Best Network at the 2014 Mobile Choice Consumer Awards and the What Mobile Awards 2013 and 2014; Number One for Network Innovation at the 2013 Recombu Awards; Best Mobile Network at the 2014 Recombu Awards; Best Network for Business at the 2013 and 2014 Mobile Industry Awards; and Best Consumer Network at the 2014 Mobile Industry Awards
Follow us on…
Facebook at: www.facebook.com/ee
Twitter at: www.twitter.com/ee
YouTube at: www.youtube.com/ee
LinkedIn at: www.linkedin.com/company/ee-uk