Official ‘Glastonbury 2014’ app launches from EE: The ultimate digital companion to this year’s festival
- EE, the technology and communications partner of Glastonbury Festival 2014, announces the official Glastonbury 2014 app, available on iOS and Android
- A must-have digital guide for festival-goers, the new app has an improved social media integration, helping friends connect on site
- The app features BBC live-streaming for music fans to catch the latest sets from the Pyramid and five other main stages, on-the-go
- EE is working with Glastonbury Festival to launch contactless payments across 25 of the main bars enabling people to spend more time enjoying the festival and less time queuing
- EE customers will also be able to use their Android phones to buy drinks through Cash on Tap
- New Glastonbury App forms part of the incredible festival offering from EE, including innovative battery charging solution and cash-free payment solution for Glastonbury Festival
EE, the official communications and technology partner of Glastonbury Festival 2014, has today announced the launch of the only official mobile app for this year’s festival, available to download free on iOS and Android.
The 2014 Glastonbury Festival app is an evolution of last year’s hugely popular version, now with improved social integration, more detailed maps, a re-designed homescreen and top tips for people planning to attend the festival.
Following the huge success of the introduction of BBC live-streaming through the app last year, this will continue to be a key feature. This function is a must for music fans on the move, on and off site, to stay up to date with the latest sets from the six main stages at Glastonbury. Those at the festival can enjoy an improved streaming experience on site thanks to the bespoke 4G network installed by EE.
The new technology makes it the most advanced, user-friendly Glastonbury app ever.
- Interactive and customisable line-up ‘Schedule’ tools, including the innovative ‘My Planner’, which can now be easily shared and viewed by friends via social media
- Interactive mapping featuring extended site coverage, location finding, customisable pin drops, ‘now and next’ info direct from the map, with improved zoom functionality
- News section featuring content from the Glastonbury team on site, including real time updates direct from the Festival over the weekend, and the new additional info tab for people planning to attend
- The ‘Schedule’ section, in association with The Guardian, lists full set times for hundreds of artists performing across the Festival, and is the place for users to create their own personalised ‘My Planner’ of must see acts over the weekend. Any act can be added to a user’s planner where they can be viewed, reminders set and any clashes will be clearly flagged. New for 2014, users who have logged into Facebook within the app, will be able to share ‘My Planner’ with friends and view what their mates are going to see, as well as write on their walls from within the app.
Biographies and content from selected artists will be available as well as the ability to listen to 30 second clips of songs from artists, helping users to discover new music and decide on which acts to see. Over the Festival weekend, the BBC’s live streams of artist performances will be easily accessible from their listings in the schedule section.
- The ‘map’ is the most extensive and interactive yet, with improved zoom technology for 2014. The map details every place those on site might need; all stages, campsites, bars, toilets and information points. The app will pinpoint your location, and customisable location pins can be used to mark important places around the site – be that where you parked or where your friends have pitched their tents. Clicking on any stage within the map will bring up ‘now and next’ info of artists playing on it, and all users, on site or at home, will be able to watch the BBC’s live streams of performances where available.
Use the map to find your way to the EE Exchange Cabin when your EE Festival Power Bar runs out of juice. The Festival Power bar - a portable mini-charger - provides full charge to any mobile phone. Once used, it can be exchanged at the dedicated Exchange Tent throughout the weekend. The Festival Power Bar can be purchased for £20 from the EE website until the 13th June.
- In the ‘news’ section’, there will be regular content and news updates in the lead up to the Festival both from EE and Glastonbury and over the weekend the Festival team will be posting important updates directly into the app – so if the schedule changes or if there is an important announcement, the app will be the place to get the news first. Within the news section, app users can also view Tweets from the Festival team and EE.
- EE is also working with Glastonbury Festival to launch widespread contactless payment on site for the first time, following a successful trial. There will be over 100 card readers across more than 25 of the main bars which will mean less time queuing for drinks and more time to enjoy this year’s sensational line-up. EE’s Cash on Tap app, in partnership with MasterCard®, allows EE customers on selected Android handsets to tap and pay for items under £20, securely using their phone. Users can top up their Cash on Tap ‘wallet’ on site, quickly and easily thanks to EE’s bespoke 4G network. To find out more information on Cash on Tap, visit ee.co.uk/cashontap.
Spencer McHugh, Brand Director at EE commented: “The 2014 app builds on the success of the first EE Glastonbury app last year. The improved social sharing capabilities, redesigned interface and improved map contribute to make this year’s the most advanced, user-friendly digital guide to Glastonbury Festival. Our bespoke 4G network at the festival will make it even easier for Glastonbury goers to access all the exciting digital content, including live-streaming from the BBC, available through the app this year.”
Glastonbury Festival organiser Emily Eavis added: “Hopefully the app will help everyone navigate the Glastonbury site and make it even easier to find their friends and share their experiences.”
For more information on EE, please visit www.ee.co.uk
- ENDS -
For more information, please contact M&C Saatchi PR:
Olivia Burrell, Olivia.firstname.lastname@example.org
Polly Goddard, Polly.email@example.com
EE is the largest and most advanced digital communications company in Britain, delivering mobile and fixed communications services to consumers, businesses, government and the wholesale market. With approximately 15,000 employees and 600 retail stores, EE serves more than 27 million customers on EE, Orange and T-Mobile mobile and broadband plans.
EE runs the UK's biggest and fastest mobile network, having introduced the UK's first superfast 4G mobile service in 2012. EE's 4G coverage reaches over 70% of the UK population. EE’s 2G coverage reaches 99% of the population while 3G reaches 98%. EE's superfast fibre broadband service covers 54% of the UK population, and ADSL broadband service covers 98.7% of the population.
EE has received extensive independent recognition including being ranked the UK's best overall network by RootMetrics®, Fastest Network at the 2013 uSwitch Awards, Best Network at the 2013 Mobile Choice Consumer Awards and What Mobile Awards, Network Innovation at the 2013 Recombu awards and Best Network for Business at the 2013 Mobile Industry awards.
About Cash on Tap
Cash on Tap is issued by PrePay Technologies Limited pursuant to license by MasterCard® International Incorporated. Cash on Tap is an electronic money product. PrePay Technologies Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the issuance of electronic money (FRN 900010). MasterCard and the MasterCard Brand Mark are registered trademarks and PayPass and Tap & Go™ are trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated.
Follow us on…
Facebook at: www.facebook.com/ee
Twitter at: www.twitter.com/ee
YouTube at: www.youtube.com/ee
LinkedIn at: www.linkedin.com/company/ee-uk