Olaf Swantee, CEO of EE, MWC speech highlights
Olaf Swantee, CEO of EE, MWC speech highlights include:
- "On our 4G EE network we are seeing average speeds of more than 16mbps and peak speeds of 50mbps on a regular basis. That's some of the fastest 4G speeds in Europe."
- "Currently, the average 4G customer uses 1.4GB of data per month. It shows that the instinct for unlimited data plans is unnecessary."
- "Beyond pure internet access, Video is the big application that our customers are using. Over 25% of our 4G traffic is video based, and 11% is on YouTube alone."
- "Why? Because of the quality of the network mixed with engaging content. The experience is so good over 4G. No waiting, no buffering, no fuss."
- "Beyond video, maps, mobile banking and video-calling in particular have seen the biggest uplift in use compared to 3G."
- "Since our launch last November, we've seen sales growth of 10% every week. And our corporate base is quickly adopting 4G - we have over 1,000 corporations in the UK already using 4G."
- "With 4G already taking off with EE in the UK and from other operators across Europe, I believe we are on the cusp of something very special - a golden age of mobile."
Olaf Swantee, CEO of EE, initial thoughts of Mobile World Congress day one:
- "It’s clear that the network is back as the hero of the mobile industry. Superfast and super-reliable, it allows you to do more, play more, trade more.”
- "And that always-connected, superfast network is having a major impact on what people can do with their devices and therefore how manufacturers are designing their kit."
- "Miniaturisation was the big thing a few years ago, but now, with customers able to do more on their screens than ever before, we're seeing device manufacturers maximise screen space, not minimise it."
- "A great example is ZTE's latest device. The ZTE "Grand Memo" is markedly bigger than anything they've produced before. It just about fits in your pocket but the clear and crisp screen makes it easy - and enjoyable - to watch movies, access the Internet and do business on email and with other apps."
- "NEC is also innovating in their phone design, showcasing its foldable dual-screen device, allowing you to multi-task in a totally new way. You can watch high-def video on one screen, while emailing or accessing the internet on the other. All made possible over 4G LTE."
- "It's also interesting to see the effect the superfast network is having on industries beyond the normal mobile players."
- "Traditional industries will be augmented by our connected network over the coming years, and those industries that embrace it will succeed."
- "Car manufacturers in particular are taking a keen interest in what 4G can do for them with Ford and Chrysler connected cars being showcased here with maps, email, Internet, all integrated into the car furniture."
- "And at the heart of that is the connected 4G SIM, enabling not just work, info or fun applications, but also industry-changing services like real-time insurance monitoring."
- "It's clear that the mobile industry - and the superfast network in particular - is at the very centre of industry and enterprise in the 21st century."
For more information, please contact the EE press team on:
0845 373 7070
EE is the most advanced digital communications company in Britain, providing mobile and fixed-line services to 27 million customers, and is the first company in the UK to provide 4G mobile services alongside fixed-line fibre.
EE is the company that runs the Orange, T-Mobile and EE brands in the UK.
Its 4G service will cover more than half of the UK population by June and EE continues to improve the speed and reach of the UK’s first 4G network. Its fibre service already covers 50% of the population.
EE's mobile service currently provides coverage to 99% of the population with 2G and 98% of the population with 3G.
Follow us on…
Facebook at: www.facebook.com/ee
Twitter at: www.twitter.com/ee
YouTube at: www.youtube.com/ee
LinkedIn at: www.linkedin.com/company/ee-uk